Donate Now       

Financial & Legal Information

Residential Charges

All long term care residents and hospital patients paneled for long term care are charged a per diem fee, established by Manitoba Health. The rate you are charged is based on your previous year’s income (Notice of Assessment). Your residential rate will be reassessed annually. Residents or patients or their legal representative are responsible for payment of any assessed charge.

An appeal process can be initiated under certain circumstances. If you have difficulties with the rate you have been assessed, contact your social worker for more information on how to appeal.

Financial Services

The Finance Department is located on the main floor of the Administration wing of Deer Lodge Centre. For inquiries about trust accounts and other financial information please call 204-831-2173.

The Cashier is available in the Finance Department between the hours of 8:30 a.m. and 3:45 p.m. Monday through Friday.

The Finance Department maintains a Trust Fund system to help you in the handling of your day-to-day financial affairs. The Centre keeps a record of all the money received from you or on your behalf, as well all the disbursements. The balance is held in trust for you. You are limited to a maximum withdrawal of $100 on any given day. There is a monthly fee charged to the resident or patient for the trust account service.

The Finance staff will be happy to help you with any questions you may have about your trust account.

Financial Responsibility

It is recommended that you make arrangements in advance so that personal and financial affairs can be managed if you become physically or mentally incapacitated. A common method of doing this is by an Enduring Power of Attorney. If a person is incompetent and no Power of Attorney is in place, a Private Committee may be appointed by the court or, in the case of the Public Guardian and Trustee, by the Chief Provincial Psychiatrist.

On admission, you or your legal representative will be asked to sign a responsibility for payment form, and supply a copy of the document naming a legal representative that is Power of Attorney or Committee.

A pre-authorized debit service, cheques, or cash can pay residential charges, television and cable service fees, and other incidental expenses. For your convenience and safety, the pre-authorized debit is recommended.

For more information, contact the social worker assigned to your unit. A Legal Information Guide for Seniors is available through the Province of Manitoba.

What insured benefits are available to personal care home residents?

If you have always lived in Manitoba, you are eligible for personal care home benefits.  If you are a newcomer to Manitoba you are eligible after living in the province for 24 consecutive months.

If you formerly lived in Manitoba for 30 years or more you are eligible on the date you returned to Manitoba as a permanent resident, after an absence of less than 10 years.  The waiting period requirement does not apply to a person who has been a resident in a province or territory of Canada for five consecutive years and immediately establishes himself or herself as a resident of Manitoba.  An assessment panel authorized by Manitoba Health determines the need for placement in a Manitoba personal care.

If a Manitoba assessment panel determines that you require care in a personal care home and you meet the residency requirements, you may receive insured benefits.

Some of these benefits include:

  • standard accommodation
  • basic nursing care
  • assistance with and/or supervision of the activities of daily living
  • physiotherapy and occupational therapy
  • medical and surgical supplies
  • prescribed drugs and related preparation approved by Manitoba Health
  • meals including special diets
  • laundry and linen services

For more information on any of the above programs contact:

Client Service Centre
Manitoba Health
300 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3M9

For more information:

Telephone: 204-786-7101
Fax: 204-783-2171
Toll free: 1-800-392-1207
TDD/TYY: 204-786-7132
TDD/TYY Relay Service outside Winnipeg: 711 or 1-800-855-0511

Everyone who lives in a Manitoba Personal Care Home is required to pay a daily residential fee established by Manitoba Health. For details write or telephone:

Continuing Care, Health Programs Branch
Manitoba Health
300 Carlton Street
Winnipeg, MB R3B 3M9

Telephone: 204-788-6648

What health services are not insured?

Services not insured include the following:

  • personal care home benefits outside of Manitoba
  • health services performed at the request of a third party, such as examination for employment, drivers’ licenses, insurance, travel, immigration and emigration
  • care and treatment covered by the Workers’ Compensation Board, the Department of Veterans’ Services or by other statute
    services that are not medically required
  • preparation of records, reports, certificate or communications, or testimony in a court
  • drugs, medications, vaccines, sera or biological products, materials and surgical supplies, except as provided under the regulations
  • ambulance and transportation subsidies except as listed in the regulations
  • private nursing
  • additional charges for a private or semi-private room
  • television and telephone services
  • cable television or internet service charges
  • services performed by psychologists and dietitians outside a hospital or institution
  • services provided by chiropodists and podiatrists
  • services performed by audiologists, speech therapists, occupational therapists and physiotherapist in private practice
  • chiropractic services other than adjustments
  • acupuncture
  • services provided by any other practitioner in the healing arts except as listed in the regulations
  • routine complete eye examinations for persons 19 years of age or older but under the age of 65
  • chiropractic treatments as a result of a motor vehicle accident covered by Manitoba Public Insurance
  • services such as examinations, laboratory tests, x-rays and other procedures related to uninsured services

If I need an ambulance, is it covered by Manitoba Health?

Ground ambulance transportation within Manitoba is not an insured service, unless you are being transferred for tests and returned to the sending facility within 24 hours. Manitoba Health encourages all residents to obtain third-party insurance in the event that a medical emergency arises.

The following chart explains when the resident or patient pays and when Deer Lodge Centre is responsible to pay.

Reason for Resident TransportBill Paid by
Visits to family or friends and recreational outings.Resident or personally held insurance regardless of mode of transport.
Transport costs associated with routine visits to primary health clinics, doctor, optometrist, audiologist, dentist, denturist or other practitioner clinics, or any transports where the resident is capable if traveling using a handi-van, taxi, or private automobile.Resident or personally held insurance regardless of mode of transport.
Transport to a hospital where the visit has been scheduled through consultation with the receiving facility for treatment or a diagnostic test and where the transport is not the result of an emergency or life threatening condition.Billing is paid by Deer Lodge Centre.
Transport to a hospital where the visit is not scheduled because of the emergency nature of the incident, and where the patient is returned to the PCH within 24 hours.Billing is paid by Deer Lodge Centre.
Transport to a hospital where the visit is not scheduled because of the emergency nature of the incident, and where the patient is not returned to the PCH within 24 hours.Resident or personally held insurance regardless of mode of transport.
Transport of a patient to a Personal Care Home from a hospital regardless of whether the trip is for a new admission to PCH, or if the patient was initially transported to hospital for an emergency or a scheduled visit.Billing is paid by Deer Lodge Centre.
Skip to content